Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rocky Mountain Solitude

Hubby and the dogs and I are staying at my sister's home in Steamboat Springs; we'll probably leave Friday morning. Until then we have the house to ourselves and we are 12 miles from the closest town which is Oak Creek, CO.

Before she left, I asked my sister Lizzy to make a list of things for me to do for her at the house. Since she left, I've intertwined doing the chores with relaxing in the quiet solitude of this beautiful area.

I like to think that doing chores around this isolated home is like living like a Walton, but in reality it's probably more like Green Acres.

One of the tasks on my sister's list is to repair a quilt she bought; it is torn in two places and they are not clean tears. In order to repair it I needed to find some fabric that matches as closely as possible. I decided to go to a second hand store in Oak Creek and sure enough they had a small room in the back filled with fabric. I found a small piece I think will work. I've started hand stitching the repair and hope it won't be too noticeable.



Today hubby and I worked on planting bulbs for my sister at the front of the house; hubby's job was to dig and my job was to plant and cover the bulbs. Our little dog William watched as we did this and I'm sure he was wondering why we would dig up the ground like that and not hide bones, he seemed a bit perplexed.
I hope these bulbs do well next spring and that my sister thinks of us when she sees them.

I took time today to write to David Taylor; he's the man who lives in Steamboat and who created the beautiful quilts on display at the art museum. I asked if he had a DVD of his technique and also told him how much I enjoyed seeing his exhibit. He wrote back and said I'd made his day with my compliments; I'm hoping to attend one of his workshops someday.

All in all it was a very full day and I'm getting a bit sleepy, so I guess it's time to say 'Good night John Boy'.

No comments:

Post a Comment